Pages

Editha Is Not Just A Large Wasp or I Am Not A SelfIsh Princess

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Today I read William D Howells' short story Editha. It is beautifully written and made me think.

Let me give you a spark notes version: Editha is a woman who has these ideals in her head that she wants to live out. She wants to be in a romantic novel. War breaks out. She is happy. How grand! Her love, George, is all war is horrible. Editha talks him into going. he dies. She wears black and get deathly ill. His mama is all its your fault, don't you wear black. Editha gets her portrait painted. the end. (I wrote my summary like a soap opera)

So I was thinking... What if people think I am like Editha? I too live this fantasy world acting out the part of my favorite genre. I don't want to end up having someone die for my dream world so I am making a disclaimer.

Disclaimer

If kidnapped by a huge scary fire breathing dragon, I do not except you to charging on a horse to slay the dragon.

If I get pricked on my finger by a needle and end up falling asleep, you do not have to kiss me if you do not want to.

If I end up lost in the woods and invite myself into your house to clean and sleep, you do not have to invite me to stay. You may also call the police.

If I eat a poisonous apple, you do not have to carry my dead body back to your castle. You do not have to kiss my corpse.

If I lose my shoe, you do not have to run all over town to return my shoe to me. You also don't have to marry me.

If I change my appearance to chase after you, you don't have to kiss me.

If I leave to see my father, you don't have to get sick and die.

If I am kept captive in a tall tower, you don't have climb it to save me.

If you sing a song with me, you don't have to marry me.

However, if you want to do anything listed......... I won't stop you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
Mini Moon Mirror by Marie Elizabeth is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.